Covering more than 9,850m² of space over five stories the library supports 19 community, digital and mobile libraries. A large internal atrium, feature stairs and balconies and community areas are part of the design.
The structure consists of large post-tensioned concrete walls with viscous dampers to provide a low damage structural system along with a steel moment resisting frame structure to the perimeter.
Lewis Bradford has received the following awards for Tūranga:
- The Institution of Structural Engineers Structural Awards 2019 - Structures in Extreme Conditions
- SESOC Awards 2019 - Commercial Building Award and Supreme Award
- NZSEE Awards 2019 - 2019 NZSEE Seismic Resilience Award for Low Damage Design
- Engineering NZ ENVI Awards 2019 - Engineering Innovation ENVI Highly Commended
- ACENZ Innovate NZ Awards 2019 - Silver and Community Award
- Concrete NZ Learned Society - Sandy Cormack Award 2019
Other awards Tūranga has received:
- NZIA 2019 John Scott Award for Public Architecture
- Property Council New Zealand Rider Levett Bucknall Property Industry Awards 2019 - Supreme Award
- Registered Master Builders New Zealand Commercial Project Awards 2019 - Gold and National Category Awards
Photography Credit: Pam Carmichael Photography