Lewis Bradford was founded in 2003 by Craig Lewis and Tim Bradford with offices in Christchurch and Queenstown.
We provide specialised Structural Engineering services throughout the country.
Lewis Bradford is focused on contributing to the engineering profession, with senior staff members holding roles on CEAS, ACE New Zealand, Engineering New Zealand, SESOC and the Industry Advisory Board for the Department of Civil and Natural Resource Engineering at the University of Canterbury.
With our extensive experience in the design of all types of buildings from residential dwellings to multistorey hotels and our experience in the seismic strengthening of heritage buildings, we were well placed to make a significant contribution to the recovery of Christchurch following the Canterbury Earthquake Sequence. Lewis Bradford volunteered resources in the Civil Defence phase in both Christchurch and then again following the Kaikoura Earthquake in 2016.
We are proud to have worked on the repair of many buildings in Christchurch, including the George Hotel, Ronald McDonald House, Les Mills Gym, The Novotel Hotel, the BreakFree Hotel and more recently the Crowne Plaza and the Gloucester Apartments. We have also been involved in the repair of buildings at Christchurch Girls’ High School, Christchurch Boys’ High School and St Bede’s College.
Lewis Bradford has contributed to the community via pro bono engineering or sponsorship for the following organisations:
- SCAPE Public Art: Gold sponsors 2020-2023, Platinum 2017-2019, Silver 2016, Silver 2015, Bronze 2013
- Southland Charity Hospital
- Pop Up Penguins 2020
- Festival of Transitional Architecture: Engineer 2013, 2014, 2016 and 2018
- CoCA: We provide structural advice for various temporary art installations
- Christchurch Stands Tall: Sponsor of ‘Point Blank’ Giraffe 2014/2015
- Spires Sculpture by Neil Dawson: Lewis Bradford was the project manager and structural engineer for this project that was instigated by Helen Trappitt
Lewis Bradford promotes excellence in structural engineering through the Lewis Bradford Structural Engineering Prize that is awarded each year to a student in third professional year of Civil and Natural Resource Engineering at the University of Canterbury.
Director Helen Trappitt has also privately set up a scholarship for women studying Civil and Natural Resource Engineering at the University of Canterbury: 'Helen Trappitt Scholarship for Women in Civil or Natural Resources Engineering'.
Lewis Bradford has received the following industry awards:
- 2019 The Institution of Structural Engineers Structural Awards - Structures in Extreme Conditions (Tūranga)
- 2019 SESOC Awards - Supreme Award (Tūranga)
- 2019 SESOC Awards - Commercial Building Award (Tūranga)
- 2019 NZSEE Awards - 2019 NZSEE Seismic Resilience Award for Low Damage Design (Tūranga)
- 2019 Engineering NZ ENVI Awards - Engineering Creativity ENVI (Kakahu Facade)
- 2019 Engineering NZ ENVI Awards - Engineering Partnership ENVI (SCAPE ReACTIVATE Aspiring Artists)
- 2019 Engineering NZ ENVI Awards - Engineering Innovation ENVI Highly Commended (Tūranga)
- 2019 ACENZ Innovate NZ Awards - Silver Award (Tūranga)
- 2019 ACENZ Innovate NZ Awards - Community Award (Tūranga)
- 2019 Property Council Property Industry Awards - Award of Excellence (Te Ao Mārama School)
- 2019 Property Council Property Industry Awards - Award of Excellence (Tūranga)
- 2019 Concrete NZ Learned Society - Sandy Cormack Award 2019 (Tim Shannon - Tūranga)
- 2019 NAWIC Supreme (Helen Tippett) Award – Highly Commended (Helen Trappitt)
- 2019 CEAS Don Houchen Scholarship (Robert Lane)
- 2018 Engineering New Zealand Canterbury Branch Awards - Award for Excellence in Service to the Community (Helen Trappitt)
- 2018 Engineering New Zealand Canterbury Branch Awards - Innovation in Canterbury Award (Tim Shannon)
- 2018 Engineering New Zealand Canterbury Branch Awards - Award for Excellence in Communication (Robert Lane)
- 2018 ACENZ Future Leader Award - Finalist (Robert Lane)
- 2015 NZ Commercial Project Awards - Gold Award (Christchurch Eye Surgery)
- 2015 NZ Commercial Project Awards - National Category Winner Award (Christchurch Eye Surgery)
- 2006 ACENZ Awards - Award of Merit (Sofitel Hotel, Queenstown)
Engineering NZ Formerly IPENZ (Institution of Professional Engineers New Zealand)
ACE New Zealand Association of Consulting and Engineering
SESOC Structural Engineering Society of New Zealand
CEAS Consulting Engineers Advancement Society
NZSEE New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering
CCANZ Cement and Concrete Association of New Zealand
SCNZ Steel Construction New Zealand
HERA Heavy Engineering Research Association
NZTDS New Zealand Timber Design Society